Bipolar disorder used to be called ‘manic depression’. I think that's a horrible term for it. It's characterised by either feelings of severe depression or feeling high (or manic) which is like being extremely happy - often inappropriately so. You can also have mixed episodes which are awful - it's like being depressed and manic at the same time!
There are several 'types' of Bipolar:
Bipolar I where there has been at least one high (manic) episode, which has lasted for longer than one week, and severe depressive episodes as well. Having said that apparently some people only manic episodes.
Bipolar II where there has been more than one episode of severe depression, but only mild manic episodes – these are called hypomania.
Rapid cycling where more than four mood swings happen in a 12 month period.
Cyclothymia where mood swings are not as severe as those in full bipolar disorder, but can be longer. This is what Stephen Fry suffers with - I think.
Exploring Historical Buffalo, New York
-
* (The Swannie House, Buffalo NY/Image
copyright of Lieuxabandonnes)*
I hopped on a Greyhound bus on Thanksgiving Day ...
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment